Tuesday, April 17, 2012

They are braver than I am!

     I don't know if it's my age, but I have become a big chicken. I have always been afraid of some things like roller coasters or wasps. Now that I am older, it seems I am afraid of way too much! I've realized that I need to lighten up a bit. We went to a lake this weekend and here's our story.

     We went down to a lake that they have here on post. I have always loved being outdoors and adventurous. I think I inherited that from my father. When we went to this lake I found myself frozen in fear. There was a small duck pond that was separated from the lake by a large cement wall. This wall (that my husband just had to climb up) seemed harmless at first. It was very steep but we all made it up. At the top it was very pretty. There were views of the lake, waterfalls, and all the families fishing down below. You would think I would enjoy it! NOPE! I was frozen by how high I was. It really wasn't that high at all, but enough for me. All I could think to myself was how I've climbed mountains in Arizona like it was a habit, and now I can't climb a silly wall! All the while my kids are running up and down the wall and getting way to close to the edge for my comfort. They most certainly thought I was no fun! My husband looked at me like I was an alien.

    When my family was done exploring the waterfalls it was time to walk down the wall. I listened to my husband who said "walk at an angle" and I made it down without falling! Wheww! We went down to the duck pond to let the kids put their feet in. All I could think was "what if they fall in... I heard on the news about these brain eating creatures in dirty water...". They didn't fall in, and they had fun. We found turtles, craw fish, and these really pretty dragonflies. All in all, it was a great day. I look back and think how much greater it could have been had I not been so worried and had just taken in all the beauty of this day with my family. So, I make a promise to myself remember to follow this great Bible verse for the rest of my life.
For God has not given us a spirit of fearfulness, but one of power, love, and sound judgement.
                                                                                                    2 Timothy 1:7






No comments:

Post a Comment