Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What's your Problem?

I saw this picture and all I could think was "problem?"

I can't speak for anyone else, but I do not see autism as a problem. Sure, it creates obstacles and challenges that most others won't face in the same way, but it is not a problem. When I found out my son was diagnosed with autism I did not think to myself, " oh no, not another problem." In fact, it didn't change much in our home. My husband and I were determined to educate ourselves about autism, but that was about the only change that occurred. In a lot of ways I love that my baby is autistic. Please don't take that the wrong way. I would never wish the challenges he will go through in life on anyone. That being said, I love all of the unique qualities that autism brings out in him that make him the wonderful child he is. He listens better than our other children and stays out of trouble more often. He can entertain himself and says the cutest things. He is my youngest child and has "grown up" at a slower pace allowing me to enjoy every step a little longer. In so many ways autism has been a blessing. I hope that we as a whole can work together to prevent, or find a cure, for autism in the future for all children and adults. For now, when there's nothing we can do but embrace it, that's exactly what I am going to do as a mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment